Thursday, January 4, 2007

The Name Game


We've been asked many times what we will name this baby, but I haven't (apparently) been asked enough. I'm curious as to what names you find generally interesting. Any guesses or suggestions are, of course, welcome.

Before we found out we were having a girl baby we went over several male names. I've often been fond of Ezekiel, or Zeke, and while we're on the topic of great ball players, I've always admired World (born Lloyd) B. Free, both for his great name and extraordinarily ordinary looks. The last great name that we'll never use is that of Mantan, and only because R doesn't like it. What I'm getting at is there was no shortage of names for boys, and it would be a long, knock-down, drag-out discussion over what we settled on if we were having a boy.

For girls it was pretty straightforward, though. We came up with it very quickly while watching a play and it's stuck since. Every once in a while I get nervous about it-- it's a heavy thing naming someone for life-- but I'm pretty sure we've got this right. Still, I can be convinced of almost anything. Share what you've got! Please! But don't share your keeper names-- literally several people look at this blog, and I'd hate to see someone take your favorite.

9 comments:

R said...

It's not that I don't LIKE "Mantan," it's just not, like, a name a person gives a child, you know?

Sarah Roberts said...

Yeah, a mantan is what that guy has. You know the one. That man. With the tan. Also, what play were you watching? I'm hoping it was little shop of horrors. Name the baby Audrey II.

cG said...

MonkeyKing: I'm partial to Rompabula. Isn't that "Heaven" backwards?

S-Money: I'm embarrassed to say (I know it's a family treasure) that I never really got that movie/play. And I knew an Audrey, so that's out. I even knew an *Aubrey*. Straaaange.

cG said...

Oh. The play we were watching? Ibsen's Hedda Gabbler.*










*Just kidding. Great play, though.

R said...

I'm kind of into Rompabula, but I wonder where the emphasis is. Is it RomPAbula, or RompaBUla?

Coming in second is Ol' Flatfoot.

cG said...

We were actually thinking of spelling her name in hobo signs anyway.

Anonymous said...

Inspector Pilot!

cG said...

We have a winner!

Daily Muse said...

Well, having given my two boys less-than-usual names (with the caveat that they can change them if they want when they get older-- and now Cayden wants to be called 'Zak') I think you can't go wrong with Brady. Or Tom. Or just Number 12! Congratulations to you all.
XO
L