Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Adventures With the Li'llest Procrastinator

Literally hundreds/none of you have asked that I post an entry. Truth be told I'm a little gun-shy about it. R is a fantastic writer who rarely does so, while I am solidly the inverse. Still, I try. Here then is our final day of 2006 in color. Please know that I am aware of the massive size of these images (click to see infinity). My apologies. It is late and I am woefully uninspired right now.


We spent New Year's Eve by the seaside, mourning the loss of our stubborn and/or lazy tax write-off for 2006. Despite R's intractable guest, we had a fine time hopping from boulder to boulder at the edge of the world.

I know what you're thinking: "Is that safe to do?" Relax, it's fine. Although I only had on my fancy boots, I was in very little danger of slipping. On unsure footing I made sure R was someplace near so I could reach out for support.


The weather was, as has been the norm this "winter," quite mild. The sea and wind were calm; you could hear paddlings of ducks pip-pip-pipping their way around while they did whatever it is waterfowl do at this time of year. It was so calm, in fact, that the ripples in this picture were caused by my panting from clambering around the rocks.


Here is a pregnant lady we came across on our way home. Isn't she lovely! You can't see it, but our massive and beautiful sun is setting behind her, some 93 million miles away.

Later we ate sushi and other Japanese dishes for dinner with R's parents, played Scrabble with R's parents, and took turns psychically browbeating our unborn child for not arriving even close to schedule. Then we all drifted off into different corners of the house. I took a shower, R looked at the computer, R's dad looked at another computer and R's mom fell asleep watching a special Prairie Home Companion on TV.

It was the lowest-key New Year's I'd had in six years, and on a personal note, I hope it was the last time I ever hear Garrison Keillor singing so near to what ought to be a fresh and unspoilt start to a new year. The man is a prolific gift of a writer, but his singing is to music what gjetost is to cheese.

5 comments:

R said...

Ah, we do live in a beautiful place, this Rhode Island. Too bad Zee Chil' is too lazy to come out and see it. I think she would have liked the ducks.

Unknown said...

Maybe if you quack a bit at your belly. Preferably quite loud, and in a public area.

I enjoyed the guest post, I got cold imagining myself on the RI coast.

cG said...

Perhaps it's slander to mention gjetost in relation to Garrison Keillor's harmonizing.

At the least you must admit gjetost is odd and doesn't lend itself to being eaten in the way real cheese does.

Anonymous said...

If Garrison's singing is gjetost, then our new year's eve karaoke was nutella. I even have pictures.

cG said...

jas:

Can a music-food metaphor be captured in photos? Please share.

Are you my former neighbor jas or another jas?

THOUSANDS read this blog, so I have to ask.